I've been a shopping fool lately. I was justifying my buying spree for both Chicago and for my cruise post-Thanksgiving. Dillards had some great sales and I was able to get a gown for the cruise for $50 and some other dresses for about $25 each. I had a few dresses that would have worked for Chicago but none seemed just right (playing Goldilocks here). On Friday after meeting with Genna, I found a dress at Penney's that I'm happy with. I have plenty of clothes and don't think I'll be an embarrassment except for my shoes.
I used to love shoes. I could wear heels all day long and not hurt at all. All that ended in June of 1999 when I was in a car wreck and hurt my right ankle. The doctors insisted that it was just a sprain. I walked on that sucker for nearly two years until the doctors finally determined that I had indeed fractured a few bones in the ankle. I had surgery in 2001 to repair the ankle but there wasn't a whole lot of improvement (the surgeon took out some bone fragments but that was about it).
Ever since then I've been in flats. Birkenstocks are good; Crocs feel good; Tevas work; as do Keens. I can't bend my ankle enough for most boots; even lace up hiking boots are a no-go. For my EMS duties, I bought a pair of lace-up duty boot/shoes that also have a zipper.
I've been waiting to lose weight to consult with another surgeon to see if any repairs are feasible. I can walk pretty good, but after a long walk (like a 5K), I really feel it. I have issues on uneven ground. Heck, sometimes it takes me a minute to decide how to get out of my ambulance. (Am I feeling strong? Can I jump onto my bad ankle today or am I better off pushing off with the bad one?) Once our cruise is over, I'll start the consults with the local ankle guy. (The physical therapist I used earlier in the year has some ideas for my ankle with or without surgery.)
So, while I can get pretty gussied up from my head down, it stops at my ankles. I did find a bunch of nice sandals so I just hope we have a wee bit of Indian Summer this weekend else I'll have blue toes. (And of course sandals mean bare legs which means I'm visiting the spray tan booth tomorrow which better not turn into a disaster.)



6 comments:
Yikes.. your story is incredible.. how they didn;t catch your fractured ankle.. hope you get relief but don't sweat the shoes. I have shoe issues too (a different sort) but you know what.. everyone is in the same boat and the important thing to me is to be able to move around. I think some of the girls are going to tote their fancy shoes and wear flats while in transit. I think Sandals would be perfect for the evening..
I am done having anxiety attacks.. it is what it is now for me.. so let's all go have a good time ..
I have had issues with shoes because I have broke both of my ankles. I find Naturalizer and Clarks work best for me and sometimes you can find some really cute styles.
Have fun in Chicago! :)
I love Naturalizer, Born, Clarks, Sofft and Crocs. Don't worry about the shoes I think I'm even wearing flats to dinner on Saturday. I hate high heels. Can't walk.
That story about your ankle is horrible. You must have a very high pain tolerance to have walked on that for 2 years!
See you soon!
I live in Clarks.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
How did the spray tan go? I'm thinking about going today. Bare legs and sandals are fine, I don't think you will be too cold at all.
That totally sucks about your ankle. I broke a toe in my car accident a couple years ago, walked on it for a few weeks before I found out. But no lasting damage. So sorry you have to deal with that.
Also on shoes...I ordered some online, and I think they will arrive too late...so who knows what I will wear! I do love high heels once in a while, mostly because we have so few opportunities to dress up out here!
See you tomorrow!
Not so thrilled with the spray tan. Probably not a good idea to do a new "thing" when one is meeting new people. At least we are all friends. (The tan itself is okay but there are streaky areas. Probably is my error.) In any event, it will be dark and most folks won't be looking at MY legs when there are other younger, more toned legs to look at! lol
Post a Comment