Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 445 - 10/9/10

Forgive me followers, for I've been quiet. It's been eleven days since my last blog.

Don't feel like I have that much to say. Plugging along here at home, trying to get everything square for winter.

September was nice and warm and our growing season kept plugging along until the threat of frost tonight. I picked about 20 pounds of ripe tomatoes last week and canned salsa. Yesterday I picked another 20 pounds of pink/orange/red tomatoes that I'm trying to ripen in the garage so I can make tomato sauce. Tonight Will and I picked the last of the green tomatoes that I need to figure out something to do with.

I did make fried green tomatoes for the first time in my life tonight. I've never even eaten them but they sounded good (and I don't even eat tomatoes, generally). I did the whole flour, egg wash, crumbs, and then fry in oil thing. They were good. I don't see making them often (too much work, too many calories, and too seasonal) but I was proud that I did it.

Band is doing okay. Have reasonable restriction at meal-times but I get hungry way too quickly. If I'm really busy or pre-occupied, I'm okay, but when I'm not busy, all I want to do is snack. I'm thinking a fill is in order later this month. I'll make an appointment on Monday for the end of October.

Feeling really sleepy right now; maybe it was the wine with dinner.

Hoping you all are having a great weekend.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Fried Green Tomatoes - YUM!
I have the same snacky urges when I'm not busy too. We just have to find ways to distract ourselves.

Hugs,
Jen

Gen said...

Robin, that tomato sauce sounds soooo good! BTW thanks for the eggs, they were delish!!!

TracyZ said...

Fried green tomatoes, right along side some fried pickles and this southern chick would be in complete food heaven! It's a good thing green tomatoes aren't around year round!!

And I impressed with the salsa making! My husband does a mean pico but it would never have occurred to me to can some up for salsa.

Maria said...

Hey Robin! I do not know how I wasn't following you before! Fixed!

Steph said...

Mmmm, fried green tomatoes...I'd love some of those right now. I've missed reading up on you, but know I'm never as far as an email, hon!!! Hugs!

Em said...

Fried Green Tomatoes is an actual thing? Ha! I thought it was just a movie!

Em :)