Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Putting Myself Out There - UPDATE AT END x 2

My past weight has kept me from a lot of things, mostly physical but some intellectual. In general I hated being the center (or even the off-center) of attention. While I liked being around people, I often hung back, just observing.

Yesterday we had a special fire board meeting. We were thanking two members who had 14 years of service between them, celebrating our election wins, and welcoming in two new board members. The Fire Chief had a bit of a party prior to the board meeting for both the board and the firefighters.

At the gathering, one of the board members asked if I'd like to help co-teach a First Responder Class for the staff of this resort. While it is an unpaid gig they do reward the co-teachers with one day's adventure at the resort. I was asked to do this because I'm a certified EMT. Our part of the class (CPR, basic bandages, splinting and immobilization, the the beginning of medical history) will be on Friday and Saturday. I'd spend Thursday and Friday a nearby resort and have all meals (!?!?!) provided. While I want to do it, of course it is such a bad week. Will and I are going on vacation next Saturday and of course there is always so much to do before heading out of town.

It took me overnight to make the decision to do it but I called my board member and agreed to help. Now of course he has someone else who might want to do it (and for whatever reason, the other guy has first dibs), but I count it as a victory that I volunteered.

I'm not all that confident in my EMT skills (yes, I'm certified but luckily we don't have that many calls out here to go on). At least I would just be co-teaching. My board member would teach the concepts and I'd help by proctoring during the practicle sessions.

We'll see if I get picked... I'll know in a half hour or so.

UPDATE - Well... welcome to crazy-land. I get to go. So it's off to home and to get ready for two days away.

MORE UPDATE - couldn't find a website for the resort but here's an article about it.

7 comments:

-Grace- said...

Good for you for stepping outside of your comfort zone! I hope you are rewarded by getting to do it! :)

Tina said...

way to go!! Even if you don't get picked you have already won---

Tina

Maree said...

Great to have more confidence. Hope the weekend goes well.

Girl Bandit said...

Way to go...you are going to be super busy. Do you get to ride on that flying fox....I would pee myself!!!

TracyZ said...

Awesome adventure for you!!

Bonnie said...

Way to step out of the zone - comfort zone that is. I'm glad you were picked.

Gen said...

That is awesome Robin! What a cool thing to do. You will have to tell me how it goes.