Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Real Women Look Like

I was introduced to a very interesting site by an on-line friend. My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

From the site's "about us" page:

In a world full of images of how we "should" look it can get difficult to tell how we DO look. Our hope is to build a site where women can see what real women look like. What we really look like. Most women have spent so many years looking at themselves in mirrors that we can no longer see what's really there. The My Body Gallery project's goal is to help women objectively see what we look like and come to some acceptance that we are all beautiful.

It's very interesting to plug in your measurements (height, weight, clothing sizes, shape) and see photos of other women with similar stats.

Body dysmorphic disorder has been discussed ad infinitum in blogland and  this site was quite interesting to me. Very interesting to see what someone else with my height, weight, shape, and pant size looks like.

"Wow, am I that thin?" Yep, I am. (When my husband and I are square dancing, I can't help but catch myself looking at our my reflection in the windows. I actually look thin dancing... even in the twirly skirt!)

4 comments:

Ms. M said...

Very intersting stuff! I'm always amazed when I catch a glance & see a "skinny" girl.

Sandy said...

Wow. I just read some of the stories in that link and it is so interesting. Thanks for posting.

Steph said...

I love that website, although I will be the firstperson to admit I have BDD. I just don't think I look like I look like. I see myself about 30 lbs heavier when I look in the mirror. I know I need to talk with someoe about it...Thanks for sharing this site so others could see!

Robin said...

I've been on both sides with BDD. When I've lost, I still see myself as fat for a long time and then on the weigh (ha) up, I see myself thinner. Thinner now, I often challenge myself to walk between two chairs or measure my butt on a seat, just to ground myself in my body's reality.