Wednesday, September 8, 2010

More Friday Happenings - Posted on Day 415

Anyway we finally got back into the car for the 45 mile drive home. Just as we entered our fire district, Will saw smoke down in one of the valleys. I had my radio so we found out that there was a tractor and field fire right on.the.way.home. We went flying toward the fire, no clue what the address was. Will had no gear (we were in my Subaru). I'm not a firefighter, just an EMT. Anyhow, we found the field with the fire but couldn't figure out how to get to it. Crossed paths with another firefighter (hauling his own load of hay) and he knew how to get into the fire scene.

Next think I knew, Will and I were driving across the hay fields, bouncing over three irrigation ditches in my everyday ride.

We were right behind our new fire engine and the fire chief. Will donned the chief's bunker gear and my helmet while I took pictures. (I do the monthly department newsletter so am always looking for pictures.)

Turns out a custom hayer working for the Utes (who owned the property) had flames come up through the floorboard of the tractor while he was cutting. Result... a fully engulfed (and lost) tractor and about 1/4 acre burned.

This picture shows the whole scene, just about... my husband before he geared up, the hayer, the tractor, our new engine in action (we are proud of that truck), the terrain, and the scenery!



Our Fire Chief in action


Will, half suited up in action


A neighboring fire department came to help. This fire was actually closer to their fire station than to ours. There were about a half dozen of their guys and their fire chief's daughter. I can assure you, our fire chief would not let anyone fight a fire dressed like that (and actually, I'm surprised that as the command of this fire, he let her work like that... well, except she looked good). This is also a good picture of our truck.


I was trying to get an artsy picture of the trucks leaving the scene but I didn't get a very good shot.


1 comment:

Tina said...

Wow great pictures! and the Friday touring events sound like fun...Ok so maybe i saw a wrinkle but man o man you looked positively skinny!!! :)

Tina