Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Treadmill of Life

Hah. Just feeling a bit blah this past week. Ever since my new low of 193.6 on the 25th, my weight has be fluctuating in the upward direction (295, 294.x, etc). While I know it's just part of the process, sometimes it's hard to not be disappointed when the scale registers high. And then I realized I just lost 3 pounds during the month of June. THREE!!!

I've been doing pretty well with eating but have had some stuck episodes. No real full-blown PBs, but just a fair amount of discomfort and one night of reflux.

I've been struggling with work since I've been back from vacation. I guess I'm bored and am lacking motivation. It seems that is pretty typical of my summers on the job (much of my work is cyclical with budgets and such) and this time of year is pretty routine.

We did get our garden in last month and I did get my chicken coop. Here are pictures of both.

Tomatoes, beets, and squash in a raised bed. We also have an asparagus bed, one with garlic, and one with onions. We have lousy soil here so our gardens must be in beds.




We bought this coop off a guy that was moving away. Not quite sure what he was thinking in terms of where he put the nest boxes (I'd have to reach through 3 feet of litter to reach the eggs. Here is the inside of the coop as we got it.



We removed one of the nest boxes and moved the two-banger to the right side of the coop so I can easily reach any eggs. We replaced the skinny perch overhead with a wooden closet rod. We put down stick-on linoleum on the floor. (Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the coop after the remodel.)

We put shadecloth over the run area and I decorated the door with a thrift store find.



Tonight my neighbor delivered my three chicken girls. I didn't get any pictures (yet) but I have two Jersey Giants and one Buckeye-Sussex cross. And just as folks told me, the hens went into their coop at dark. All I had to do was close their door. (Now to remember them in the morning!)

Pictures of my ladies tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Happy chickens make happy eggs! Waiting for the pics of "The Girls". Too cute.

I can do this.....finally said...

oh my DH wants chickens so he can have fresh eggs. But me? eh can't stand eggs and I've heard chickens smell lol. Plus I don't think our dogs would do well with them....

Your garden looks great!