Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Not too much to post either on the band side or the life side.

Will and I did go to the chicken harvest on Saturday. We started out with a breakfast out at a local café. Will ordered his usual breakfast burrito and I had a side of bacon. I ate two bites of his burrito and two slices of my bacon and was full.

Went to the ranch to do our chicken work. There were about 10 friends and family there helping with the harvest. A 9-year-old boy was the chicken wrangler. This city girl (me) was amazed to see that if you grab chickens by the feet and hang them upside-down they go limp. Anyway, Will and I were the main evisceration specialists (we gutted the chickens). Kind of gross but it was a lot less fussy work than plucking. All in all, we processed 96 chickens and got great anatomy lessons. Had sloppy joes for lunch (1/2 bun, 1/2 cup sloppy joe stuff, 5 potato chips, and 1/2 brownie). It was yummy (and I didn't have to cook). I'll be getting the 6 chickens I ordered later this week (plus a couple for the work).

Will and I worked on my chicken coop and the garden on Sunday. We added a nest box to the outside of the coop. All that is left for coop work is painting the outside and putting some roofing material on it. We let the girls out to free range in the garden area and they seemed to like running about. Unfortunately they can't be out unsupervised because they like scratching in my veggie garden too much (they especially seem to like my barely started asparagus beds).

Actually had an emergency call that I responded to yesterday but I got turned back before I was even 1/2 mile from the station. I really need to get a new jumpsuit issued to me. Since I've lost so much weight, I'm just swimming in my gear. I think my current jumpsuit is an XL (men's) and just a year ago, I could barely skinny it on over my underwear. Now I can put it on over jeans (and sweater and jacket) and still have room for more. If we have a smaller size in our storeroom, I'll take that. If the department doesn't have a smaller size in stock, I'll wait until I hit goal to order a new one. These things aren't cheap (~$400) and there's no need for the department to pay for my interim size.



Should definitely get back to work. My desk is a disaster. Not much motivation to get anything done. Oh well, off to the paper piles.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like a busy weekend. I don't know why, but the chicken picture cracks me up.

Robin said...

I should have looked at the anatomy picture prior to our morning at the ranch.

Fiona said...

I am impressed. Not sure if I have the guts for gutting. Well done.

Kim said...

Robin - you know what else you can do with a chicken? Hypnotize it.

Grab a chicken, lay it down flat on the ground on its side, holding your hand flat on the body to keep it from moving much.

Take your other hand, and draw a line in the dirt really slowly in front of the chicken's face.

When you let go of the chicken, it'll lay there until you shake it or shove it a little bit.

I'm not a whack job, really. I've just seen a lot of chickens in my lifetime. My brother and I used to do this all the time when we were kids. It's hilarious when you're 7.

Tina said...

hahah your post and the comments are good :)...I loved your anatomy picture and the way cleaned up description of your day. The smell of burning pin feathers (my grandpa used a torch) coupled with the scalding pot is what got to ...it is always smells that I have trouble with. Wow-you gutted 96 chickens and only got lunch and two chickens as payment....isn't there some sort of labor laws on the books :)hahah.

Tina

Sandy said...

So what came first, the chicken or the egg? I remember visiting my aunt on her farm as a kid and she would take an axe and cut off the head of a chicken. The thing would fly all over the place, headless. Then she would gut it and we'd have a great surprise when there would be an egg inside. Thanks for the memory (I think). Can't wait to meet you in Chicago, roomie.

Robin said...

Tina.. you don't even want to know what we are paying for the chickens I've ordered (in addition to the "work-for" ones). (We just see this as supporting the local food movement.)

Sandy... luckily these chickens were only about 9 weeks old... tender and way too young for eggs. Some though did have .22 casings in their gizzards though. (Not from being shot but from eating them off the ground.)