Wednesday, June 2, 2010

While I'm Happy to be Getting Smaller ...

I hate growing out of my clothes.

Just three weeks ago (or so) I went through all my clothes in the house and in the garage. I sent some that no longer fit to the traveling sisterhood; I sent some larger sizes to the thrift store pile; I put the fitting clothes in the closet; and I boxed up the smaller clothes into approximate size/weight ranges for future use.

Just this week it finally got warm enough for me to wear some capris pants. The first couple of pairs on the pile fit fine. Then they began to get to big. Yeah... I am no longer an 18W in Gloria Vanderbilt pants. Nor in most other brands. Out went approx. 10 pair of capris (that's what I live in  in the summer). Out went a half dozen pair of jeans.

Out to the garage I went and pulled down the three boxes marked 190-195. (I am at 197.) Lucky for me there were a few pair of capris that were straight 18s (not 18W) and they fit. And more jeans in size 18 (last time I wore them was in 1995 when I moved from Southern California to the Bay Area). I'm set for another 10 pounds, and then maybe another 10 after that then I'll have to start buying or scrounging new clothes. I think I'll be tapped about then.

And speaking of clothes buying. Will and I are going on a cruise in November. I know I'll need clothes then but obviously have no clue what size I'll be. I so want to buy clothes now (or in the next month or so) when summer clothes are on sale but I'm sure I'll guess wrong for sizes. I just don't want to buy warm weather clothing in November when they are scarce and expensive.

I know I'm complaining about something I should be happy with but one of the things about losing weight is that I can wear nicely fitting clothes. It's hard to do when you keep shrinking out of them.

10 comments:

-Grace- said...

I totally understand how you feel. While it's exciting to shrink out of clothes, it's really hard on the pocketbook to have to purchase new ones just to have the basics!!!

Ali said...

I sure do hear you! I'm hesitant to buy clothes since I just don't know how long I will be wearing them. And like you, I'd like to buy in advance, but also just have NO CLUE what size I will be in then. I was out at a few garage sales this weekend and found some lovely, brand name sweaters and other items. But seriously didn't know WHAT size to buy.

Steph said...

I am in the same boat. I found a dress, that I love, it was in a great color for me and it was 50% off. It was online and I couldn't try it on, so I had no idea what size to get it in. We are going ona cruise in March, so I went ahead and bought it in a 16, as I honestly don't see me smaller than that, so I am hoping it will fit when it comes time for the trip...

CC said...

i hear ya!! with me i don't have a stash of clothes so i have to buy stuff! clothes i bought TWO weeks ago are way to big for me now....grrrr it's frustrating, a good frustrating though :-)

Girl Bandit said...

I hear ya too...I wore something fairly new yesterday and it looked to big...good thing ...bad thing....NOTE TO SELF:..stop buying clothes....

TracyZ said...

You've been lucky (and so have I since I have benefited tremendously from your clothes stash) to have been able to get this far with clothes in your own closet/attic/garage. Luckily I live right next to an outlet mall so between that and the Kohl's I can usually get some decent stuff at pretty decent prices. I had budgeted $100 per month for clothes during this process and so far I haven't really had to spend that much (except for March when I had to buy work/professional clothes).

Sarah said...

Gotta tell you - I LOVE GOODWILL and thrift stores... I have found some sweet deals there on all these in-between clothes, and only recently have I "splurged" on new (i.e. from a store new) clothes... check out your area - especially if you have a junior league or something that sponsors a store like we do here!

Perry Joyce said...

I kinda love that I can't (or would be stupid to) buy clothes right now!! I can't buy clothes and I can't eat out. You'd think I'd be saving money, but in reality I'm just digging myself out of the hole my clothes and dining out addiction got me into! Ah, balance...

LDswims said...

What a fabulous problem to have! But I get the "grrr" behind it, too. It's hard to spend money on something that won't get normal wear and tear out of it.

I have three blogs I posted Monday night of clothes that I am sending out this weekend. All the 18 pants are Old Navy which run small. That and dresses and shirts...let me know if there's anything you want to try (that's not already spoken for).

http://ldswims-journeytoembrace.blogspot.com/

Em said...

Check out my blog for some clothes I'm giving away. If there's anything there you like and you're happy to pay for postage, they're all yours! Not sure how Aus v US sizing works but I have a feeling Our size 16 would be about a 12/14 US? Anyway if there's anything you like I can check the bust/waist/hips measurements on the tags for you.

Em :)